CityTicket For Weekend Travel Between JFK Airport & Manhattan
This information is specifically for anyone arriving at/departing from New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) on a Saturday or Sunday.
The CityTicket program offers Long Island Railroad (LIRR) passengers discounted fares when traveling on weekends between any two LIRR stations located within New York City borders. The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) is a commuter train system providing rail service between New York City and Long Island; LIRR trains are not subways.
To travel from JFK Airport to Manhattan via the LIRR:
- Take the AirTrain from JFK to the “Jamaica” LIRR station. At Jamaica Station, transfer to an LIRR train going to Penn Station.
To travel from Manhattan to JFK Airport via the LIRR:
- Take an LIRR train from Penn Station to Jamaica Station. At Jamaica Station, transfer to an AirTrain heading to the airport.
The regular weekend rate between Penn Station and Jamaica Station is $7.25. With CityTicket you pay $4.25. When using ticket machine, select the “CityTicket” option. When using ticket window, tell ticket agent you would like a CityTicket.
Penn Station is at 32nd St. & 7th Ave. in Manhattan. Jamaica Station is at the intersection of 94th Ave. & Sutphin Blvd. in Jamaica, Queens.
The most important CityTicket restrictions to be aware of are:
- Your departure and arrival stations must both be within NYC. Penn Station and Jamaica Station are both in NYC.
- CityTickets must be purchased from either a ticket window or ticket machine. You cannot buy a CityTicket on the train.
- CityTickets can only be purchased on Saturdays and Sundays.
- CityTickets must be used the same day they are purchased. A CityTicket bought on a Saturday, for example, can only be used that particular Saturday.
- CityTickets are valid for one-way travel.
- Transfer to/from the JFK AirTrain is not included in price.
There are a few more restrictions, but none that apply if you simply want to travel directly from JFK to Manhattan or from Manhattan to JFK.
“What happens if I buy my CityTicket at 11:45 p.m and my train doesn’t leave until after midnight?“
The LIRR gives you 4 hours leeway. If I buy my CityTicket at 11:45 p.m. Saturday night, for example, I have until 4 a.m. Sunday to complete my travel. If I buy my CityTicket at 11:45 p.m. Sunday night, I have until 4 a.m. Monday morning to complete my travel.
“Do children pay the same rate for CityTickets?
No. Children under 5 ride free. Children from ages 5 to 11 pay $1. If you pay at a ticket window, tell the agent how many child tickets you need. When using a ticket machine, look for the option that says CityTicket. You will be asked during the transaction whether you want any child tickets. Each fare-paying adult may buy up to 4 child tickets.
You can reach the LIRR by phone at: (718) 217-5477. Say, “Representative,” as soon as you hear the recorded message.
Was this post helpful? If so, please consider sharing it through your favorite social media.
© TripHoney.com, All Rights Reserved