Step-by-Step Guide To:
Taking the Subway From Grand Central to High Line’s Northernmost Entrance
You can take the 7 train from Grand Central to the High Line’s northernmost entrance. The 7 train is the closest subway to the High Line’s north entrance.
To Take the 7 train from Grand Central to the High Line’s north entrance:
Find the East Balcony
- Use the big clock at center of Grand Central as starting point.
- At clock, turn to face the East Balcony.
- East Balcony is where the Apple Store is located. Look for Apple logos.
Go to Subway Level
- Walk toward archways to the right of the East Balcony stairs.
- Remember: Do not walk up East Balcony staircase.
- Walk to the right of East Balcony staircase.
- Above 1st archway it says: Lexington Ave-Ticket machines
- Above 2nd archway it ways: 42nd Street Passage-Subway 4, 5, 6, 7, S
- Make 1st right after archways and walk down that passage
- Escalators/stairs leading to subway level are on left side at end of this passage
- Go downstairs to subway level
- Purchase MetroCard to pay for subway (if you do not have one already)
- Go through turnstiles closest to the stairs/escalator you just descended
Important Note: Rush hours are early to mid-morning and late afternoon/early evening, Monday to Friday. Weekends and holidays have no rush hours.
During Non-Rush Hours
- Once through turnstile, on your immediate right you will see signs/escalators leading to 7 train
- Descend escalators to 7 train’s platform
- During rush hours, you will be unable to descend these escalators
During Rush Hours:
- Once through turnstiles, look for signs to Uptown 4, 5, & 6 trains
- Be sure signs say “Uptown” and not “Downtown.”
- Descend stairs to Uptown 4, 5 & 6 train platform
- On platform for Uptown 4, 5 & 6 trains, look for signs to 7 train
- Descend stairs and follow signs to 7 train
Take 7 Train
- When you reach the 7 train level, go to platform that says: 5th Av., Times Square, 34 St/Hudson Yards
- Take 7 train to last stop: the 34 St/Hudson Yards stop
Walk from subway to High Line’s northernmost entrance
- Descend 7 train at last stop: 34 St./Hudson Yards (#17 on map)
- Go up to street level
- At street level, you will be on 34th St.
- Turn left (west) after reaching street level
- Walk west along 34th Street (toward Hudson River)
- High Line entrance is on 34th St., between 11th and 12th Ave. (#2 on map)
- Entrance is 1.5 blocks (about a 3-minute walk) from 34 St./Hudson Yards subway station
- Under normal conditions, it will take 15-20 minutes to reach High Line entrance from Grand Central
Elevators at Grand Central
- Follow steps 1-5 above.
- To right of steps/escalator leading down to subway level is an elevator.
- Take elevator down 1 level to Mezzanine level.
- You will exit elevator behind the Metro-Card Machines.
- Enter subway system through gate (if you use a wheelchair or have a stroller)
- Follow signs for elevator to 7 train platform
Elevators at 34th St./Hudson Yards station
You will need to switch elevators a couple of times at “34th St./Hudson Yards” station before reaching street level
When you descend subway at “34th St./Hudson Yards,” you will be on the platform level
- From platform level ———-> Take elevator to lower mezzanine level
- From lower mezzaninel level ———-> Take elevator to upper mezzanine level
- From Upper Mezzanine level ———-> Take elevator to street level
For more transportation options to the High Line, or to view map, please see How To Get to the High Line.